What were the GOP-run legislature, Governor Janice Brewer and Senator McCain thinking when they supported the enactment of Arizona’s new discriminatory “papers please” law, Senate Bill 1070? As Saturday Night Live’s Seth Myers stated on Saturday’s show:
“Nothing more Nazi then saying Show Me Your Papers… So heads-up Arizona that’s fascism.”
According to NPR, Cardinal Mahoney of Los Angeles echoed this statement saying this:
“Los Angeles Archbishop Roger Mahoney called the bill “the country’s most retrogressive, mean-spirited and useless anti-immigrant law.” Mahoney also questioned whether Arizonans are “now reverting to German Nazi and Russian Communist techniques.”
There are several options worth considering to address this radical anti-immigration law:
- Boycott existing tourism, meetings, conferences, athletic events in Arizona. Cancel plans for all future events.
- Boycott products manufactured in Arizona (if you can identify them).
- Increase the number and duration of highly visible protests throughout Arizona
- Have the DOJ start legal proceedings against the state of Arizona
- Have individuals stopped by the Arizona Gestapo for their papers join together and start a class action suit against the state of Arizona
- Have Hispanics on the police force stop high level white politicians like John McCain, prominent business people, media celebrities or sports stars and demand their papers
- As New York Times columnist Linda Greenhouse suggests, have all Arizonans who protest this law “walk the streets of Tucson and Phoenix wearing buttons that say: I Could be Illegal.
- Increase Hispanic and legal immigrant voter registrations in Arizona and other states of their ilk so that the political power begins to shift away from this lunacy.
- Continue to get well-spoken Hispanic politicians like Representative Gutierrez of IL on the air, like we saw with his interview on Keith Olbmerman last night.
- Encourage the Hispanic media – print, broadcast, Internet, radio, etc. to continue their barrage of negative response to this bill.
- Have legal Hispanic workers in Arizona institute periodic work stoppages.
- Continue foreign news coverage of this discriminatory, prejudicial law.
Joe Scarborough former GOP Congressman and MSNBC Commentator, nails it on the head saying that the law puts a target on the back of 1 out of 3 Arizonan citizens who are of Hispanic origin. H/T Washington Monthly