Today the New Berlin school district voted on a new handbook that they presented to the teachers as a finished document. With Scott Walker ending collective bargaining for public employees, examples like this show where this will lead. The draconian measures that were in the ending of public workers collective bargaining rights, played out as many thought in this draconian handbook forced on the teachers. Here are the changes that were passed tonight:
* Workdays for elementary will increase by 60 minutes and Secondary by 30 minutes
* Staff must be available to students before and after student schedules for at least 30 minutes per day
* You can be required to work an additional unpaid 15 hours; no more than 3 hours a week
* No set pay for overtime; only stipends
* No pay for subbing during your preps; Principals can assign you to sub
* Certified staff hours are 1520 per year full time (190 days for this year only)
* The 2012-13 school year starts on August 15’h and runs until June 15’h
* You may be required to start as early as 6:15 AM and end as late as 5:00 PM
* No pay for any attendance at IEPs prior to 5:00 PM
* You may be required to attend inservice or other training, outside your regular work schedule
* Next year, if we do not change the political landscape, pay will be based on performance; pay is insured this year because of the NBEA agreement.
* THIS YEAR, ELEMENTARY WILL BE WORKING AN ADDITIONAL 205 HOURS WITHOUT ADDITIONAL PAY; SECONDARY AN ADDITIONAL 95 HOURS WITHOUT ADDITIONAL PAY; NEXT YEAR, ADD 80 MORE HOURS TO THAT TOTAL, SINCE WE WILL BE STARTING AUGUST 15th AND ENDING JUNE 15th
* Full details not be revealed until September 8th; changes occur October 1
* Possible 80/20 plan and we pay additional premium if the cost of insurance rises
* $4,000 deductible with a $10 generic/ $50 brand drug cost
* The deductible can be reduced by $3,000 if employee and spouse fully participate in the Wellness Program
* Full participation in wellness program: health risk assessment, including biometrics, refrain from use of illegal drugs, participate in program to reduce risk factors, coaching, diet, behavior, follow up medical care, smoking cessation. 1st year: participate, 2nd year: have to take classes to reduce risk factors.
* False reporting, such as claiming you do not smoke when you do, can result in dismissal.
* Other details, such as increased co-pays TBD
* $15,000 payout and age 55 retirement has been eliminated
* Retire by 2016 at age 57 with 20 years at New Berlin, receive insurance until age 65
* Retire by 2021 at 57 with 20 years, receive 3 years of insurance
* Retire after 2021 no benefit packages given.
* 5.8% of your salary will be deducted for state retirement benefits (pension system)
* You are not allowed to drop any licensure without the superintendent’s approval
* Dress Code: Skirts below knee, no sweatshirts, no jeans, no large logos, no open shirts, etc.
* Be dismissed for having students as friends on Facebook
* Grievance: only in termination, discipline or alleged workplace safety issues; you cannot grieve non discipline issues are the items listed under non discipline items such as suspension, letters in file, plans of improvement, etc.
* Jury Duty: regular pay, but you must show documentation to the district that you’ve tried to change the jury duty time to July and August
* School calendar same, teacher convention will be professional development for this year only since it is part of the NBEA working agreement for this year.
* Evaluations: Done yearly without notice
* Collaborative time twice weekly for 2 hours a week.
* You must report all traffic incidents (except speeding) or any tickets you have received to the District within 3 days or face dismissal even if it occurs during your time off
* Take away all microwaves, refrigerators, and coffeemakers, even though each administrator and the District have these items.
* 4 initial days and earn l!I day per month based on good attendance
* However those who have accumulated over 45 days will not be awarded any days until they have used enough days to fall below the 45 day cap.
* Long term disability reduced from 90% of pay to 60% of pay. If ill or have had surgery and do not have any sick time built up, you will be short pay. You will also have to pay your insurance premium during any disability leave.
* No days will be added to sick bank, which will be discontinued after this year, erasing any safety net for those who become critically ill.
* Resign before first day of school, you must pay $200 plus board contributions of benefits (insurance).
* Resigns after the first day school, $2000 plus benefits payments if not 60 days notice given
* Compensation: -5taff will be issued a contract for pay not less than the amount of their pay in the year before the effective date of this handbook. Please report any effort to ask you to sign any additional “individual teaching contracts” unless they are co-curricular)
Tonight was the board meeting and unfortunately the hate right radio triumverate got word that the teachers were going to attend the meeting and put word out to their brownshirts that they were needed to heckle and intimidate the teachers. Their mission was accomplished as the minimal crowd of ” tea party” leftovers did the hate radios bidding and showed up and not only caused a disturbance, but according to people at the meeting, yelled and spit at the teachers, pulled signs out of their hands and ripped them up and even disgustingly handed out pacifiers to the teachers.
Yes the sin of professionals wanting a say in their workplace rules and a few disgusting thugs and bullies show up to attempt to degrade the teachers of New Berlin? They were dramatically outnumbered yet yelled the loudest and were the most antagonistic. The hypocrisy of that amazes me, also where were Sykes or Vicki Pyzinski or Jeff Wagner?? Too ashamed to show up on their own or too cowardly?
With the outrage at a few kids who dressed up like zombies and said nothing at a Scott Walker event, who on the right will be a leader and condemn the disgusting display tonight (especially the total disrespect of the teachers by handing out pacifiers).
This display shows exactly who the sykes/pyzinski/Belling hate radio triumverate really are and the picture is not pretty! I wonder if next they will try and hand out pacifiers to police officers when they call and ask for help, or maybe fire fighters when their house is on fire or prison guards everytime we overcrowded their prisons…
Will have more info and video later.
UPDATE: Here is some video from the meeting. I personally love when cowardly politicians take votes w/o discussion then have nothing to say afterwards. The WISN news report is here. The Journal Sentinel story is here. H/T Blue Cheddar for the following video, (PS> If you are not already, you should be reading her blog also.).