According to a Compas campaign staffer, Scott Fitzgerald has just accepted the challenge to debate Lori Compas. This event is open to the public.

Details:

Date: May 23rd

Time: 7:00 pm

Location: Fort Community Credit Union, 100 W. Main Street (3rd floor), Jefferson Senior High School Auditorium, Jefferson, Wisconsin. Additional info, click here.

32 Responses to Breaking News: Scott Fitzgerald to debate Lori Compas (not her husband) [Updated 5/18-new venue]

1. Zach W says:

I wonder if Fitz expects Lori Compas to wear an apron.

2. Jake formerly of the LP says:

Sounds like Ol’ Fitzy just realized Lori can win this thing, and that by ducking her, it just proves she’s the better candidate.

Next to the guv election, this could be the other one to watch. I noticed a lot of Compas signs between Madison and Whitewater today, and it’s because people are recognizing that she has the goods…and that Scott Fitzgerald is worth blowing out of office.

• Zuma Bound says:

Absolutely right in everything that you said, Jake.

Fat-ass Fitz is quaking in his boots.

• Intrepid Traveler says:

Zuma, I hate Fitz as much as the next apron-wearing gal, but can you please lay off the fat attacks? Our movement is better than sizeism.

• Zuma Bound says:

You’re right, IT.

I just started riffing on the word “Big” in “Big Fitz”, and took it in the wrong direction.

“Fat-head” Fitz, would have a better “distillation” of the vibe I was going for.

“Fat-head Fitz” it is.

3. David says:

Jake, that’s an optimistic POV, but I think it more likely that he knows he has the advantage on her in such a situation, given his experience in legislative debate and her lack of it. She is running pretty much solely on integrity, and that may be enough, but there is a real potential that this might expose her possible unfamiliarity with minutiae of some issues & some people may get concerned about that.

• Zuma Bound says:

“[H]e knows he has the advantage on her in such a situation, given his experience in legislative debate and her lack of it.”

Fitzgerald has absolutely NO advantage over Lori Compas, trust me, David:

Fitzgerald didn’t want this debate for a reason.

If the optics of avoiding a debate with Lori hadn’t been so bad, he would have called her a “fringe candidate” who didn’t deserve his time, and would have blown off the idea of a debate.

4. David says:

p.s. But Lori has surprised us all before. Here’s hoping she has another trick up her sleeve.

• Zuma Bound says:

It’s all brains, ability, an indomitable spirit and a strong work ethic, dude. No “trickery” involved or necessary.

5. jimspice says:

If I were her, I’d prepare for the i’m-experienced-you’re-not attacks. He’ll throw numbers and obscure issues at her that she’s not prepared for. What he doesn’t know is that makes listeners who also don’t know the obscure issues or figures, associate with her. She’s me. She’s you. She’s us.

6. jimspice says:

THIS by the way, is the race that makes me regret I don’t have money to spare right now.

7. Lisa Mux says:

This event may be moved to a larger venue. Will keep you posted- thanks!

• Zuma Bound says:

I can’t wait. If Scott Fitzgerald wasn’t worried about this election, in plain and simple terms, he would not be debating Lori.

Give Lori my best, Lisa. Tell her that she has inspired progressives all across the country, and made us proud.

And thanks for keeping us posted.

• Lisa Mux says:

Event moved to Jefferson Senior High School Auditorium (see changes above, including additional info). Thanks!

8. Susan Shute says:

I’ve donated to Lori’s campaign; twice!! I know my money is well spent! My tax dollars, which have paid Scott Fitzgerald’s wages all these years, WERE WASTED!!!

9. Joanne says:

Wow unless this is some gigantic conference room there sure won’t be much room for spectators in the room. Hopefully they will have plenty of press available to document this situation. He will be admitting that a woman can do this on her very own without the husbands telling her what to say.

10. John Foust says:

I’d say they normally set up forty or fifty folding chairs in this room, and it has been rare for any candidate forum to fill this room.

The high school auditorium easily seats 900.

11. SuzyMetta4 says:

I loved the title of this post, Lisa!

12. Jan Tessier says:

I want to debate Scott Fitzgerald’s wife.

13. John Foust says:

I’m tempted to suggest we should have a post-debate Drinking Drinkingly at the Landmark tavern, one block south.

14. Debi Hankel says:

Lisa –
    I agree with John on this, I plan to make the drive from Waukesha – and I’m donating to Lori as soon as I finish this post. 🙂

15. Debi Hankel says:

Be careful if you go to donate – when I got to the site, I found 4 other candidates that I HAD to donate to as well. DONATE!!!
    I don’t have the $ any more than anyone else – but it’s the future – for us, our children, our grandchildren.

16. Mark says:

Lori has a heart and real feelings for all people. She will not do things the SHADY way. She will listen to all and it wont be my way or the highway. Fitz is so errogant it may bite him in the end. GO LORI GO!!!

17. Pat says:

The audience will see that she is real. I hope she will say she’d fix the budget by including corporations, the unions, the legislature (all of it), the dept. heads, and the people in the decision-making. Working together we can survive, apart we cannot. Fitz will come off as a blow-hard, arrogant politician. The contrast will be beautiful to see. Go Lori!