Here’s my report from Rep. Gwen Moore’s health care informational session held today at North Division high school:
- Despite the location in Milwaukee’s super-scary inner city, some health care reform opponents did make an appearance:
- Some protesters did make their way into the auditorium, and here’s some video of those folks:
- As was previously announced, Rep. Moore did answer questions submitted to her via email, but despite what some cynics in the audience (and in the blogosphere) might have been thinking, the questions she answered were definitely not “softballs” from health care reform supporters. Here’s an example of some of the questions Rep. Moore fielded:
- Will health care be rationed under H.R. 3200? Her answer: No.
- Will the bill raise taxes? Her answer: While the exact funding source for H.R. 3200 hasn’t been set in stone, one proposal would impose a 1.2% surcharge for couples making $350,000 a year or more, and the same surcharge for a single person making $280,000 a year.
- Has Rep. Moore read the bill? Her answer: She has read most of the bill, but not all of it. She has attended a lengthy briefing on the bill, and she has also read a number of reports that have been written about the bill.
- Will the bill bring about euthanasia for seniors or the terminally ill? Her answer: NO. Rep. Moore said she’s read Section 1233 (which deals with end of life planning) in detail, and nowhere is euthanasia mentioned. She mentioned the section in question is all about end of life planning, such as living wills, resuscitation orders, etc.
- Rep. Moore also took questions from the audience, and in the interest of fairness, those who asked questions alternated between those who were opposed to health care reform and those who were in favor of health care reform. Both groups were given an equal opportunity to voice their opinions and ask their questions.
- And curiously enough, I didn’t see any brown-shirted union thugs in attendance at the meeting, which is surprising, because I expected them to be there in force to administer “beatdowns” to anyone who dissented. < / sarcasm >
EDIT: I’ve edited the post to include a few more pictures, as well as a link to all the video I took, which I’ve posted on YouTube.