Now that his bus tour through Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois (but not Wisconsin) is done, President Barack Obama and his family have headed to Martha’s Vineyard for a bit of a vacation.
While I don’t necessarily begrudge President Obama for taking a vacation, I think he handled things bass-ackwards.
Here’s what President Obama did:
- Three-day bus tour of just three states in the Midwest.
- Announcement that he’ll have a jobs plan to provide to Congress after Labor Day.
- Take a vacation to Martha’s Vineyard.
Here’s what President Obama should have done:
- Announce a comprehensive jobs plan to address national unemployment and the economy.
- Go on a bus tour selling your plan to the American people.
- Make Congress give your plan an up-or-down vote.
- Maybe then go on a vacation.
I really don’t understand the point of a bus tour of the “Midwest” that doesn’t include states like Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Each of those states are most definitely a part of the Midwest, and they also happen to have higher unemployment rates than Iowa and Minnesota.
Color me underwhelmed.