The people of Waukesha are going to get what they voted for with Walker’s new budget. Let’s look at some of the fun stuff that we who live in the Land of Mordor (with lawns) have to look forward to.
First, there’s the new garbage fee. In order to cover some of the gap, a $136 annual fee was proposed to cover costs including recycling. But some alderman don’t support the fee, they think we need to cut, cut, cut! And in a very non-scientific poll on Patch, a 60/40 margin prefers to cut more services rather than raise taxes or implement the fee. Way to go, Waukesha! So what are we looking at cutting in the City of Waukesha to save the $2.7 million (assuming we don’t get the garbage fee approved)?
- Cut an open police officer position
- Eliminate most police overtime
- Reduce the replacement rate for obsolete police radios
- Delay purchase of a new ambulance
- Reduced road salt purchase to levels which won’t last the season
- Two new police cars cancelled
- Other unfilled positions left unfilled
- Asphalt grinder cancelled
- Parks & Rec vehicle cancelled