While the results from last nights election were not what we were hoping, they were also not clear cut. There was good news and bad news. Here are my thoughts about the GOOD NEWS of what we can take from last nights results!
* Jess King is now a Wisconsin State Senator and Randy Hopper is not! This alone makes the night worthwhile. I have said on here that Jess King was the best candidate on both sides running in these elections and truly believe that. This leaves us some questions 1. Does Randy Hopper need help moving? 2. How does this affect Valerie Cass future employment? 3. Will Valerie Cass still want him? Did she like him because he looks like Buzz lightyear or because he was in power?
* Jen Schilling won ending The reign of Dan Kapanke. Kapanke while a terrible candidate, it takes a special man to steal from charities to finance your campaign, had enough support to actually think he could unseat Ron Kind last year. Good For Jen Schilling and even better for Wisconsin.
* A grassroots movement was started and will not end. We have new people involved and paying attention now in Govenrment and politics than probably ever in our lifetime. I know many people who were out knocking on doors and hitting the phones who did not even know who their Senator or Assembly person was 10 months ago. We also have strong mailing lists, contact lists, experienced organizers than we have ever had before. This is how we will win in the long run. We will need this because they have unlimited funds.
* The Democrats have legitimate candidates and talent ready to run and serve and the Republicans do not. While the Republicans are running people like David Vanderleest, and Kim Simac, the Democrats are running people like Jess King, Fred Clark, Shelley Moore, etc… Then you can look at the “bench” of potential candidates and spokespeople where the Democrats have rising superstars like Tony Schultz and Mahlon Mitchell and the republicans have Brian Schimming.
* We did legitimately get 6 recalls in 6 republican districts(Walker won these districts by an average of 13 points). Heck we ALMOST recalled Glenn Grothman(R-land that time forgot). These were not small feats!
* We saw just how dirty, unethical and highly partisan the new redistricting is. Scott Walker who likes to tout his “successes” so that he can keep getting Billionaire Brother phone calls, was in complete seclusion yesterday when he signed the redistricting bill. Could it be he knew how bad the new maps were and did not want to fuel the recall fire? Or has he just become humble of late?
* Now Dale Schultz has power he never had before and can act like the centrist politician he used to be not the one who was intimidated by the Fitzwalkerstan clan.
* Wisconsin is still a deeply divided and evenly split state. The more the republicans run it like they have a 100-0 edge the more the centrists will wake up and tell them that is unacceptable. Much of the outside spending will be somewhat tempered in 2012, as the Koch’s, Bradley Foundation, etc… will be busy buying all 50 states and will not be able to focus solely on WI.
* Finally it is still early. Much of Governor Walker’s plans have not went into affect yet. School has yet to start, parents have yet to be asked to pay increased school fees, PTOs have yet to be asked to raise even more money to cover essentials, children are not yet sitting in larger classes, municipalities have not yet cut services or added increased fees. Many Families do not even know that their favorite teacher retired early due to the budget. Wait until their friends/family with special needs children are struggling even more than before, or their neighbor who is a custodian at the local high school loses their house. Wait until local businesses realize the effects on their business of taking millions of dollars of discretionary income out of the pockets of state workers. Wait until people realize that Scott Walker and the republicans did NOT balance the budget and are raising fees, and taxes.
We also need to make sure and document all of these instances so if you know of any send it to us [email protected] We will follow up and document.
* ALEC has been exposed and will continue to be exposed for how they have been doing the thinking for the Republican Wisconsin Senators. www.alecexposed.com
* Kathy Nickolaus was in the news again. SHe makes a good face for the republican party.
* The Democrats have two more seats today then they had yesterday. That is a win.
* While I disagree with FMSN that the Democratic candidates never talked collective bargaining, I think they did not pound the point enough! As we saw by the 6 weeks of protests in the Capitol, Collective bargaining was an issue that resonated with the people.
* It will be spun that this means Scott Walker is popular, nothing could be further from the truth. Scott Walker was in witness protection program the last few weeks of the recall elections. There is a reason all of the republican candidates pretended they did not know him.
* The work is not over, it is only beginning. It is time to start holding the republicans feet to the fire and demand that they start seriosuly creating jobs and fixing the economy. They have spent the first 8 months doing things to make sure they have perpetual control of the state without working for it. Let us make them work for it. Keep talking, keep reading, keep calling, keep writing, keep knocking on doors. We took a step forward last night, looking forward to our next victory.
“One year ago, we knocked on the door. This year, we beat on the door. Next year, we’re gonna kick the son-of-a-bitch in.” Bum Phillips